With Alexa, you’ll be able to use your voice to control your smart plug.
Smart plugs can simplify your life in a number of ways, so if you’re looking to install your Amazon Smart Plug and start creating your smart home, this quick guide will help.
Before you start setting up your Amazon Smart Plug, be sure to install the latest version of the Alexa App from the App Store or Google Play. In addition to assisting you with setup and configuration, the app will allow you to control the devices that are plugged into your smart plug. You’ll also be able to create routines through the app to further simplify your life.
While it helps to have a smart home hub like Alexa in addition to your Amazon Smart Plug, it isn’t a necessity. With Alexa, you’ll be able to use your voice to control your smart plug, but the app can replace this function if needed.
1. To set up your Amazon Smart Plug, plug your device into any indoor power outlet in your home that is near the devices you’d like to connect with it. You will know that the device is ready for setup when the blue light on the front left side is blinking.
2. Once the smart plug is ready for setup, open the Alexa App on your smartphone, log in to your account, and tap the Devices icon in the lower right side of the screen.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to add the device to the app. If you’re prompted to scan a barcode, take out the black setup guide included in the box. Flip it over and scan the 2D barcode on the back page.
4. You’ll know that your device has been set up correctly when the blinking blue light turns solid.
5. If the light is red, the network connection has not been set up. Make sure to connect your smart plug to your home’s WiFi through the Alexa App.
Using Your Amazon Smart Plug
Once this is completed, you’ll be all set to start using your Amazon Smart Plug either through the Alexa App or with Alexa itself. To turn any device smart, all you have to do is plug it into your smart plug. It’s that easy!
The Alexa App allows for a fully customizable smart home experience, putting incredible power in your hands.
To use your smart plug with the Alexa App, tap the Devices icon on the lower right side of the screen, and then tap “Plugs” at the top. You will see your plug listed as “First Plug.” You can then toggle the on/off button to control your device remotely.
To use your smart plug with Alexa, just say “Alexa, turn on First Plug”. This will turn on or off any devices plugged into your Amazon Smart Plug.
To set up a routine with the Alexa App, tap the name of your plug and then tap “Create a routine” toward the bottom of your screen. ap the + icon in the top right corner of the screen. Tap “Add action”, then “Smart home.” Tap the name of your connected smart plug. Follow the prompts on the screen to create a routine.
To give you an example of how this may be applicable in everyday life, if a lamp is plugged into your smart plug, you can tap “Schedule” to prompt your lamp to automatically turn on at sunset every day, only on weekdays, or just on Sundays. The Alexa App allows for a fully customizable smart home experience, putting incredible power in your hands.
That’s it! As you keep toggling your new Amazon Smart Plug, you’ll continue to discover new ways to use your smart plug to enhance your smart home experience. If you’re looking for inspiration on creative ways to use your smart plug, take a look at this article on 7 Ways Smart Plugs Can Simplify Your Life.