If you’re new to smart plugs, the Wemo Mini WiFi Smart Plug is an excellent starter option. This savvy smart plug works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant to add voice control and automation to just about any device or appliance in your home.
Smart plugs can add unparalleled simplicity and convenience to your everyday life, so if you’re looking to start reaping the benefits of home automation with the Wemo Mini WiFi Smart Plug, this quick guide will help.
Before you begin setting up your smart plug, you should first download the Wemo app from the App Store or Google Play onto your mobile device. The app will help you with setup and configuration. Once your smart plug is connected, you can then use the app to control and monitor your smart plug’s connected devices.
Additionally, if you’d like to add voice control to your Wemo Mini Smart Plug, you will want to have a smart speaker like Amazon Echo or Google Home. This isn’t necessary to use your smart plug, but it does provide an additional layer of ease and control to your smart home experience.
Let’s walk through the setup process.
- First, remove your Wemo Mini from the box and plug it into any outlet in your home. A small light located above the power button will begin flashing white and orange. This indicates that the plug is ready for setup.
- Next, decide which device or appliance you’d like to turn into a smart device and plug it in. You’ll have the best results choosing an outlet where you have a strong Wi-Fi signal.
- The rest of the configuration process will take place in the app. Once you have it downloaded onto your mobile device, open it up and tap Add a Wemo, followed by Wemo SmartPlugs. You will then be prompted to connect your mobile device to your home’s Wi-Fi. Once this is completed, tap Continue With Setup.
- Now it’s time to connect your mobile device to the smart plug’s Wi-Fi. To do this, leave the app, go to your mobile device’s settings and find the Wi-Fi settings. In the list of networks, you should see a network labeled Wemo.Mini.XXX. Tap this network and wait for it to connect. Then, return to the app.
- You’ll now be able to give your plug a name. If you’re not sure what to call it, naming it after the device you have plugged into it will make it easy to identify your smart plug in the app. Tap Next and follow the prompt on screen to enter your email address.
- After this, you’ll be prompted to select your home Wi-Fi network. Once you’ve found and selected your network, enter your Wi-Fi password.
- Once the plug has successfully connected to your Wi-Fi, you’ll then notice the blinking light on the plug turn solid white. You will be taken to the app’s home screen, where you can now see your plug’s name next to a power icon.
Using Your Wemo Mini Smart Plug
That’s it! Now that your plug has successfully connected to the app, you can use it to toggle your plug’s power supply on and off, set a timer or schedule, enable away mode and more. If you want to connect your plug to a speaker for voice control, tap the More section on the bottom right of the Wemo app, and then tap Connect to Our Smart Home Partners. Then, select which hub you’re using and follow the instructions on screen. It’s that simple!
If you’re looking for creative ways to use your Wemo Mini, take a look at this article on 7 Ways Smart Plugs Can Simplify Your Life.